Please visit our new website:
- Selenium is classified as a trace mineral. It may be essential for tissue
respiration; associated with fat metabolism, vitamin E, and antioxidant
functions (as part of the enzyme, glutathione peroxidase).
DRI (RDA or AI for Adults)
- Adults: 55 mcg.
- Pregnancy: 60 mcg.
- Lactation: 70 mcg.
- Brazil nuts, oysters, liver, seafood, sardines, whole grains.
- Specifically: Brazil nuts, oysters, chicken liver, clams, beef liver, sardines,
pork, crab, salt water fish, whole wheat pasta, chicken meat dark, chicken
meat light, turkey liver, lamb, sunflower seeds, plain bagel, oatmeal,
POSSIBLE THERAPEUTIC APPLICATIONS
- Cancer (prostate)
- Coronary heart disease
- Immune function
- Selenium works well with vitamin E.
- None significant. Keep intake well below 1,000 mcg if taken daily for long
periods of time.