Please visit our new website:
- Iodine is classified as a trace mineral. It is necessary for synthesis of
thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones stimulate the basal rate of metabolism,
oxygen consumption, and heat production. These hormones are necessary for normal
nervous system development, and linear growth.
DRI (RDA or AI for Adults)
- Adults: 150 mcg.
- Pregnancy: 220 mcg.
- Lactation: 290 mcg.
- Iodized salt, haddock, cod, lowfat yogurt, buttermilk, milk, white rice.
- Most processed foods where iodized salt was added.
POSSIBLE THERAPEUTIC APPLICATIONS
- Potassium iodide tablets are used when there is a radiation emergency. It
protects the thyroid gland from radioactive iodine (iodine-131). Raw cruciferous
vegetables (cabbage family) contain isothiocyanates (also called goitrogens),
which can interfere with iodine uptake by the thyroid gland.
- Consult with your health practitioner if you are on thyroid medication.
Supplementing with potassium iodide (KI) may cause problems with ACE inhibitors
and potassium-sparing diuretics.