Please visit our new website:
- Lipoic acid is a unique antioxidant, being both water-
and fat-soluble. It is part of two multi-enzyme complexes: PDH (pyruvate dehydrogenase)
and alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase. These enzymes are part of the Krebs cycle
(actually, PDH connects glycolysis with the Krebs cycle), and are thus essential
in the conversion of food into energy.
DRI (RDA or AI for Adults)
- Made in the body and nutritional supplements.
POSSIBLE THERAPEUTIC APPLICATIONS
- Coronary heart disease
- Diabetes (insulin sensitivity and neuropathy)
- Liver support
- Memory loss
- Lipoic acid has a sparing action on other antioxidants,
including vitamins C and E, CoQ10, and glutathione. Like milk thistle (silymarin),
lipoic acid has liver-protective properties. An older name for lipoic acid is
thioctic acid. (R)-Lipoic acid is considered to be a more biologically active
- Diabetics may need to adjust their antidiabetic medication.